Monday, September 25, 2006

Spartan Daily News

Our Spartan Daily newspaper....articles created and written my our fellow classmates. Its not as sosphicated as The Mercury News... or The Wall Street Journal..., but its well written and the stories are related to us as students and as San Jose residents.

Other newspapers do offer more articles online than the print version, which is understandable with their resources and budget.I choose the Spartan Daily becuase it is a newspaper I read faithfully and enjoy the articles pertaining to our school.

Our online paper is very similar to the print version found on campus. However, we have adopted some of the local newspapers website offerings. We offer daily temps., beautiful color pictures and job services. One aspect that I found very wonderful was the book, jobs, housing, movies, and scholarship tabs. This section was very appealing to students and also very helpful. The links were to the books people have read and critiqued, movies around the area, and something very useful to students scholarship links and information, along with the information aimed at SJSU students.

Now the paper version of the Spartan Daily is a great read for students at our school. It offers great and current news.

The Mondays paper showed news pertaining to us here at SJSU. It gave articles on podcasting, the newest fad in lectures, as well as the scores off the sports teams. It has the opinion page, which in comparison to other paper hold the voices and opinions from my peers.


The advertisements are the one thing that seem to differ for me. I see the ones in the paper because the often take up half a page. while the ones online are off to the sides and not in the way of reading an article.

The benefit of reading our school newspaper online is access to read the article in its entirety rather than being seperated on different pages. Another is the coupons a student may find to local eatries. I have yet to find them on the website, and then again if they are there you would have to print it out and such. I am happy to rip out my TOGO's coupon and have the number to Wings chinese cuisine handy for after class. Lastly, as MCOMM students involved in blogging this semester, the online version of our school newspaper offers a blog. It is a tool obviously unavailable in paper version. This is a great way to get students conversing about school issues.

I have enjoyed the Spartan Daily's crossword puzzle for all my years at SJSU, while there is none to be found on the website.

Both online and paper version of our Spartan Daily offer great news written by our students. There are few differences between the two. I usually go for the paper form, however with the tools offered on our paper's website, I can be sure I will be visiting more often.


SJSU


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to give a shout out to the Spartan Daily! As a former writer for the newspaper it's nice to know that some students do read it.