Monday, December 04, 2006

One blog....about One song.....


I was sent to YouTube.com as per recommendation on our MCOM 72 website to watch the Bank of America guy sing. Well I will be honest, I had never been there before.

As I watched this guy sing, actually fairly well, a remake of the U2's song "ONE," I wondered how did they come up with this genius act, and why were they posting it on YouTube.com?

So, I pondered. First of all, I thought this remake of the favorable song was great. It was possibly a clever marketing tool that catches people attentions and gave a few chuckles. Is this copyright infringement though I wondered. Is it poor marketing for not being able to utilize a new and creative idea for Bank of America, or pure genius for captivating their audience by doing something quite unusual for a bank? And why such harsh reviews?

Well, like many advertisement creative juices sometimes runs high...or run out. Some commericals are highly entertainable, like most beer commercials. On the other hand, like fellow student Jessica Loebig mentions, that damn Geicko Lizzard is annoying as heck. Well, most bank commericals are well.....on the boring side.

Now as I see it, the Bank of America may have copied the tune, the lyric settings, even the half the words, but created an appealing message that was clearly about the bank itself and not the band. While some may be highly offened, I thought it was a unique way for the Bank of America to get its message across to its public or audience. As many of you may have seen, the audience in the video loved the song giving him a standing ovation. If this was SO embarassing, then why the ovation? Well, it may be his large sex appeal that got the audience standing....but I think it was his message as well as his large amount of guts for getting up in front of a live audience and try to sing anything like our beloved Bono . I may not have Bank of America, and this song may not make me inclined to go sign up anytime soon, I enjoyed it on a recreational level. Now I can understand the overpicky opinions of AdAge.com writers, and I do appreciate their views even when I do not agree, like in this case. I still have to wonder what did I learn from reading their post??

As I see it. It obviously this song did its job if its getting this type of coverage. Rock on guy in the yellow tie.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I'm afraid you missed the point. That is not a commercial you are watching. It was a corporate event for Bank of America employees. Those two guys did that song, and someone in the audience filmed it, and posted it on YouTube. Great embarassment ensued.

Alli Zezoney said...

Oh wow. I totally missed the concept. Thank you for pointing it out, I shall reacess my point of view.

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Read what AdAge had to say about it. Or just Google some relevant terms... better yet, use Technorati.