Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What do we watch throughout the Days of our Lives?

A question brought up in class, and a survey given out asking what kind of media consumer are you?

While I enjoyed filling it out, I was suprised actually what kind of consumer I was.

While I love certain shows like Project Runway, CSI, Days of our Lives and sometimes National Geographic, I didnt realize how much time I spent watching t.v. waiting for these shows to come on.

I also am a huge movie buff. But Blockbuster that is. I rent move movies than I go see them. However, Beerfest was a hilarious movie I saw this past week. (If you liked the Super Troopers, almost all of them are in this...or if you like beer....a solid funny movie.)

I used to read quite often before I went to bed. Books about the lives of Frank Sinatra, Jim Morrison, Jimmy Hendrix and Marilyn Monroe.

I read the Spartan Daily faithfully, mostly for the crossword puzzle, but often find that articles uninteresting. I tend to only enjoy reading one article or so per paper.

Within other areas of media, I listen to cd's in my car....but honeslty rarely other than that (aside from whats playing at the bar that weekend.)

I do waste my money on magazines like cosmopolitan, and trash like InTouch, Life and Style, and Us Weekly.
Though I dont pour over the articles unless they strike me as entertaining celebrity news. Sad..I know.

When reading magazines or watching television, I notice the advertisements, yet find them annoying. I realize they are a huge part of our culture and media...being advertisement puts out yet recieves large ammount of cash. Just recently in another class we were talking about Sex and the City . Every show, the shoes that "Carry" wears, sell out the next couple of days by consumers who watch the show. Its amazing how advertisement oriented our society has become.

I realize that I could be what you call addicted to television. However, it is when I am watching my favorite shows is when I am most relaxed. I plan to TRY to cut back on the useless hours I watch t.v. and send more time reading more books, or finding other interests. I will plan to browse around Barnes and Nobles to find books I normally wouldnt pick up. I would love to expand my book preferences. I think I will continue to watch "my shows" but will do something during the time I do not have a show on. It really is amazing how our lives often revolve around sorts of media. What would the world be like if we had never created t.v? I cant even imagine.


No comments: